Thyroid surgery involves a variety of operations including:
- Total thyroidectomy
- Hemithyroidectomy (excision of one thyroid love and the isthmus)
- Isthmusectomy (resection of the isthmus only)
- Subtotal thyroidectomy (seldom practiced due to high recurrence/reoperation rate)
Indications for Surgery
- Goitre/nodule with local compressive symptoms.
- Graves’ thyrotoxicosis refractory/unsuitable to medical treatment.
- Thyroid cancer.
- Diagnostic procedure for a cytologically indeterminate lesion.
- Improving cosmesis in a large goiter.